About McDonald Junior High
T. H. McDonald Jr. High opened its doors in August, 1991. The school was named in honor of T.H. McDonald, former principal and central administrator in Katy ISD who dedicated his life to education.
The building provides more than 125,000 square footage of instructional area including 42 regular classrooms, two gyms, two art classrooms, three computer labs, science labs and two areas designed
for career/technology programs, band, orchestra, choir, and special education.
McDonald Jr. High is committed to excellence in all school endeavors. Sixth and seventh graders are organized into academic teams consisting of teachers in the core areas: social studies, reading, English, science and math. Eighth graders begin the transition to high school through departmentalized instruction. Students with special needs have access to English as a Second Language (ESL), reading improvement and corrective reading, Title I services, special education resource teachers, a diagnostician, speech teacher and other services. The campus has a full-time instructional technologist who assists teachers with integrating technology throughout the curriculum. Fine arts offerings include band, art, theater arts, choir and orchestra. Students can also choose electives such as industrial technology, home economics, career investigation, foreign language and technology applications.
Extracurricular activities include 7th and 8th grade cheerleaders, pep squad, intramural sports, UIL athletics, UIL music, National Junior Honor Society, Hard Rock Club, Academic Pentathlon and Chess Club. An active Parent Teacher Organization provides a high level of parent involvement and enrichment activities for the school.
Awards and Honors
- Five State Recognition qualifiers, Duke University Talent Identification Program, 2006
- Katy ISD Outstanding First-Year Teacher, 2000
- Recognized by "Just for the Kids" for academic excellence in social studies, 2000
- Two singers from McDonald earned spots in the 2000 All-Region Choir.
- Best of Show, Katy ISD Art Show, 1999, 2000
- Best of Show, Katy ISD Fine Arts Festival, 1999
- Young Poets student poetry winner, 1999
- KISD speech tournament, first place, 1999